1.13.2010

Change I Love, and Change I Don't.

Change.

Fall to Winter.
Winter to Spring.
Spring to Summer, and back again.

I love it.

Moving to a new place.
Starting a new set of classes.
Meeting a new friend.

I love it.



And yesterday, I would have told you that I love change. But just now, I realized that when it comes to changing me, I don't love change.

And whenever I don't like something about myself or my situation, I'll sit and talk with my roommates about it, then I'll talk to my buddies in Salt Lake, then later I'll vent to an old friend, or ask my sisters for advice... and then do nothing about it. Why do I sit and watch TV when I know I'm falling behind in my schoolwork? I don't know. Why do I stay up late every night when I know I have class in the morning? I don't know. Why do I let my friends - even my best friends - really bother me without ever saying anything to them about it? I don't know.


But I tell you what. I like this scripture:

And because that they are redeemed from the fall they have become free forever, knowing good from evil; to act for themselves and not be acted upon.
Wherefore men are free according to the flesh; and all things are given them which are expedient unto man. And they are free to choose liberty and eternal life, through the great Mediator of all men, or to choose captivity and death, according to the captivity and power of the devil; for he seeketh that all men might be miserable like unto himself.


I am going to be an agent for change. I'm a fighter, dang it! Not only am I going to rock my New Year's resolutions, I'm going to manage my time way better, so I can do what I really want to, instead of what just seems nice at the moment.
We are free to act for ourselves and not be acted upon, right? To me, that means that it's time to stop blaming other people for things I don't like, and take matters into my own hands.


So, to whoever's reading this way-more-open-than-I-should-be blog post: you can achieve your New Year's Resolutions. But not if you start tomorrow. Not even if you start today. Start right now! Well, comment on my blog first, but then then get out and run that mile, throw out that bad music, and call up your friend you haven't talked to in a while! Not because you have to, but because you're free to do it.

{And to a certain friend: if you're reading this while you're on the toilet, I owe you a Frosty.}

And here's where I got the pictures.

6 comments:

Anna Peterson said...

Hey Crave. This is Dave. I love you. Thanks for being my friend. I like reading what's in your brain. Brain.

Crave said...

Haha, I love you too Dave. And thanks for a good talk tonight.

And sorry friends that my blog hasn't been allowing comments recently. I blame pyzam.com. Be warned!

Brittany said...

I really like this because I really needed this. I'm terrible with change. But I always think about doing it.

This makes me want to just DO IT.
You know?
There's so much freedom in that, like you said.
Thanks, friend.

Marc said...

I hope that I am the one you owe a frosty to. But if not, I'll be happy with just paying for my own frosty but going with you. And I hope I'm not the one that bugs you and you don't tell me.

Gordy Evans said...

You don't need to get me a frosty;-)! I just heart you crave! If I am the one that upsets you I hope you would tell me;). Your blogs are so deep and meaningful. They make me think a lot about my life and I love it. Your the greatest!

Ali T said...

Thank you cousin, for sharing your thoughts and inspiring me to start RIGHT NOW. I also love love love how you make very obvious your testimony, belief, and gratitude for the Gospel. It makes me even more inspired.