9.30.2011

Vacation - Rochester, NY

Rochester is a beautiful part of upstate New York.  Settled right on the coast of Lake Ontario, this city is home to University of Rochester School of Medicine, where I attended a medical school interview.  The entire stay was wonderful and I had a great time interviewing as well!

Big, big sky somewhere over Iowa (hello missionaries!).



Ben and Celeste were ideal hosts, and cooked for us every night.
My friend Dave and I interviewed one day apart from each other, so we decided to spend the weekend there together.  While Dave was in his interviews, I wandered around in downtown Rochester, eating at the delicious Dinosaur Grill, visiting the Eastman School of Music, and photographing interesting architecture.

The colors in this photo are my favorite.  Also I enjoy the rhythm of the windows and staircases.

Ugliest building in Rochester.  Like a car accident, I just couldn't tear my eyes away from it.  It says "Times Square" above its gloomy double doors.
Rochester used to have a subway system, which has been abandoned, leaving behind some cool looking bridges.  I saw some amazing graffiti in there but was too afraid of getting mugged to photograph it.
Construction scaffolding at the Manhattan Park (even though Long Island is 6 hrs away from Rochester)
Dave and I both had a great experience in our interviews, and would be very happy to attend Rochester for medical school.  After Dave finished up his interviews, we rented a car together and did a little sight-seeing!  First, we drove out to Niagra Falls, then doubled back through Rochester to visit Palmyra, where the LDS Church has its roots.  We spent time in the Sacred Grove, Joseph Smith's home, and at the Hill Cumorah.

Niagra Falls!  There's Canada in the background.  We rode the Maid of the Mist, but naturally I kept my camera well-covered.
The Sacred Grove in Palmyra.  I was surprised to see how close it is to the Smith Family Farm.  You can tell you walk upon hallowed ground amongst those trees.
That's the Palmyra Temple you see through the trees.  They had to cut out a hole in the foliage so we could see it from where I'm standing on the Smith Family property.
Dave and I on our way home in our SWEET rental car!  Thanks Hertz!

No comments: