8.31.2010

Back to School!

If you're grumbling a little bit about it, read this for some validation:

"No man who worships education has got the best out of education... Without a gentle contempt for education no man's education is complete."


G. K. Chesterton (1874-1936) British author


I've been a little bit absent from my blog recently.  I've been hiding behind my MCAT preparation and not telling you much about my life outside of that:

I just went through quite a fiasco with my housing arrangements at BYU.  I was renting at a place near campus called Sommerset, but my landlord ended up being more of a slumlord than anything else, and was unwilling to fix up the place.  Though he always spoke kindly to me, he was also adamant that I accept his squalid living conditions.  I think the crooks that smile at you are more dangerous than the ones that grimace.

So I ended up selling my contract (much to my parents' relief), and moved in to a place called Windsor Park.  It's really nice here.  I have an east-facing window, so I wake up to the sunrise every morning, and my roommate is a way cool kid named Scott.  He's from California, attending UVU as a Communications major.  I think we're going to get along great.  There is an unrented room in our unit which we are both hoping remains empty - our freezer is already full with just the two of us!

I'm jumping into my final year at BYU with a research program under the direction of Dr. Kooyman.  I'm training now to perform microsurgeries on the knees of rats, as part of a series of experiments attempting to discover a link between Osteoarthiritis and BBS (I don't actually know what BBS stands for yet, so don't ask).  I never thought my first experience with surgery would be under a microscope, but it's looking like that's how it's going to be!  I'll also be working with some tissue cultures and other microscopy equipment.  I'm a little nervous, as I've never taken part in a research lab before, but it should be fun.

Altius has offered me a job as a tutor.  I have accepted the position with a promise to start in January, possibly earlier.  This is quite a blessing as the pay far outstrips (by almost 300%) what BYU offers their MCAT tutors.

Other than that, I'm just trying to get all my books, schedules, and other things I need to live on while down here at BYU.  It's alarming how the expenses add up so quickly!  Good luck everyone as you start your new semesters!



"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."




Mark Twain (1835-1910) American writer.

No comments: