9.04.2009

my favorite thing about the west coast

There comes a time in every young man's life when he must perform the rite of passage. This has nothing to do with buying a car, getting a job, or receiving dad's swiss army knife that's been in the family for generations (which I lost). This is it: a road trip.


It all started one night when Steve, Will, and I were sitting in my basement, talking about how great it would be to go to California. And this time, when Steve said "we should go," I replied,

"Pick a date."

And then it happened. We didn't make any additional plans - no events, no activities, no sights to see, just get in the car and drive. Drive to California with the sun at our backs and end up in Oceanside. It was the most fun I've had in a very long time.


When we got to Oceanside, I ran to the water's edge, and I was so excited to get into it, I mean all the way into the water, that I laughed and dove into a wave. I came up choking - and laughing - on the cool briny seawater.


We snorkled, we watched horse races, we went to a reggae concert, we shopped, surfed, and soaked up the sun. We went dancing with some of the most beautiful women I've ever seen. On the way home, we stopped to wakeboard on a mirror of water in the shadow of the Hoover Dam.


When we pulled back into Salt Lake City, the sun setting sleepily in my rear-view mirror, I smiled to myself and thought, when we go on vacation, we make it count.


Now, we're getting back into the swing of school. I miss the lazy summer days already, but I can't tell you how excited I am to get back to learning - this year I will hold a brain in my hands, find out just how many germs are on our toilet seat here, increase my flexibility, and learn from the #1 rated professor on ratemyprofessors.com.

4 comments:

kelseyosterman said...

California is a completely lovely place to be. And I'm totally jealous about your road trip. I've been wanting to go on a legit road trip for years. Though I do already live in California, so I'd probably have to go East instead. ;)

Unknown said...

California is great, isn't it?! There is something invigorating about jumping in a car and not knowing what you're going to do once you get wherever you're going! However, I'm still left to wonder what your favorite thing about the West Coast is?

Emma said...

ha ha! michelle i thought the same thing about you not answering your favorite thing about the west coast...ps california does not equal the west coast.

but california is so great for just going. just leaving. it just IS a land of dreams and it's totally great. yay roadtrips.

Crave said...

I purposely didn't tell you my favorite thing. It's a secret. The post title is actually a line from a song we heard on the radio on the way to Oceanside.

And it's true, Emma, california does not equal the west coast; If you want to get technical, alaska + british columbia + washington + oregon (which i suppose is the one you wanted included) + california, on past mexico to the tippy tip of chile = the west coast. But now I'm getting sassy and splitting hairs, both of which are bad manners. :)