5.17.2009

Three Years Ago.

Three years ago today, I knelt in front of a wooden bureau and unpacked two suitcases of my belongings at the Provo Missionary Training Center. I had just watched an orientation movie with my entire immediate family. Then, as "God Be With You 'Till We Meet Again" played on the piano, I said goodbye to my family. I said goodbye to life as I knew it for 2 full years. My parents, my siblings, my in-laws, they all cried, but I didn't, and I still don't know why.

Today I spent a couple hours looking through pictures of my full-time missionary service in Iowa. I read through some of the emails I sent home to my family, and for the first time since I have been home from my mission, I read over my original mission call. The power of the Holy Ghost wrapped me up like an old friend, and I cried.

I could not be prouder of my service to the Lord. I have never ever been happier than when defending the case of Jesus Christ, and representing my Savior in all my actions as a missionary. Know this: I would not take back those experiences for all the riches, glory, and fame in the world. Today, I stand a little taller, speak a little more surely, and walk with a little more purpose because I know that I am a child of light, and that my imperfections are swallowed up in the infinite perfection of my Savior.

3 comments:

kelseyosterman said...

I can say nothing more than "AMEN!" :)

Marc said...

I'm just wondering why you had in-laws when you left on your mission? Seems to me like I should have known about that. Why don't you have them now? Is it a sensitive subject?

Crave said...

har har, Marcus. You of all people should know i'm not now nor never have been married:

I was talking about brothers in-law. Thanks for the heads up though, it's good to clarify.