5.12.2009

Spring Semester, I Refuse to Enjoy You.

Looking back through each and every year at this time - my time serving a mission in Iowa removed from consideration - my teachers were becoming lax about the rules, wrapping up their final units and preparing us for our finals. The end was in sight. I was going to swim parties instead of class, longboarding Lincoln Lane into an amber sunset, eating ice cream at the swim and tennis club, and enjoying dinner with my family outside in the breezy summer weather.

And yet.

Now, I am sitting in a library staring out at the sunshine, trying so hard to learn about Minoans and the Mycenaen Culture before my first Mid-Term tomorrow. I'm cursing myself for skipping class to go and play. And the end is not in sight. I am only one-third of the way through my term. Harumph. I don't want to go to school anymore. I just want to play, or at least work someplace that will pay me money for my time.

Oh summer, I love you to dearly, and were it possible I would frolick in idyllic meadows of milky sunlight. Alas, I am wed to the drudgerous and unforgiving twin hags of organic chemistry and poorly-taught history classes.

Happiness, I pray we cross paths come June.

3 comments:

Jessica said...

Hahaha.
So true. I know that feeling all too well. Spring is just too nice and exciting to be doing anything but enjoying the outdoors. I'm sorry about your classes, but summer will come eventually:)

Miss Megan said...

Oh, this post brings back memories! Try to take a walk outside once in awhile, and look right and left at the great flowers BYU has available. You've been at school for months and months -- no wonder you're a little cabin-feverish!

Marc said...

I miss those happy, bliss-full high school days of longboarding, swimming, and guilt free frolicking. Now even if I'm puking my guts out I still feel the need to go to class. It sucks