4.30.2009

Something to Say.

I have something to say about moving. Sometimes I like it. But sometimes, I don't. I don't mind that my new bedroom is smaller than a shared cell in prison, nor do I mind that my complex feels like the projects.

What I do mind is that every time I go home to Salt Lake, I find more and more reasons to love the place:

[thanks to corbis.com for providing these images]

Downtown speaks to my soul - faintly reminiscent of my vacation to Manhattan, it sports spectacular architecture and towering buildings, and a feel-good hustle and bustle of businesses, cars, and motorcycles.


The parks - the wind rustling the leaves with the promise of long summer days, blossoming trees shading young lovers as they walk, laughter of children, and bare feet in the grass.


Concerts - every thursday night, free concerts play at the Gallivan Center. Salt Lake City's counterculture comes out from the bars and coffee shops to rub shoulders with me as we enjoy free entertainment compliments of our tax dollars and up-and-coming musicians.

The People - my family. Best friends from childhood. Mission buddies. Sorority girls. Crazy polygamist neighbors. Red heads. I even miss smokers - you just don't ever smell them down here in Provo... I could go on.


Provo, you are great, and you'll always have a place in my heart, but I've never felt like I quite fit in here. Don't be offended if I don't stick around forever.

4 comments:

Jessica Lynn said...

I realize that this post came when I left Provo. That's probably the real reason Provo doesn't seem as great as Salt Lake-I'm not there so you are turning to your childhood home for comfort.
P.S. my teacher used this voice that is JUST LIKE those weird sounds you and Andy make...when you have a double chin. I missed you at that moment.

Crave said...

Okay Bods, you are right. I really just can't stand to be there without you. The truth is out.

Jessica said...

Hey Spence. Great post. And, I added three more things to my "top ten" list just for you!

kelseyosterman said...

Makes me want to visit this Salt Lake City place. :) Dorothy said it best: "There's no place like home." Even living in California, with beautifully balmy weather and sandy beaches, I miss little old Minnesota, with its fierce winters and rocky lakeshores.

Oh, and Michael Buble and Mika are absolutely wonderful.