4.13.2009

the Golden Rule

I am so proud to be a Christian. Without Jesus Christ I have no idea what I would do. He's my rock and my salvation, and the reason for the hope that is in me. I have just completed my World Religions Course as of today, and along with insights into other religions, I have gained many into my own.

How cool is it that every single major religion teaches the Golden Rule? From the Torah to the Tao Te Ching, from the Qur'an to the Guru Granth, each exhorts humankind to show charity to one another.



Hinduism

This is the sum of duty; do not do to others what would cause pain if done to you.


Buddhism

Treat not others in ways that you yourself would find hurtful


Confucianism

One word which sums up the basis of all good conduct... loving kindness. Do not do to others what you do not want done unto yourself.


Taoism

Regard your neighbour's gain as your own gain, and your neighbour's loss as your own loss.


Sikhism

I am a stranger to no one; and no one is a stranger to me. Indeed, I am a friend to all.


Christianity

In everything, do to others as you would have them do to you; for this is the law and the prophets.


Unitarianism

We affirm and promote respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part.


Native Spirituality

We are as much alive as we keep the earth alive.


Zoroastrianism

Do not do unto others whatever is injurious to yourself.


Jainism

One should treat all creatures in the world as one would like to be treated.


Islam

Not one of you truly believes until you wish for others what you wish for yourself.


Baha'i Faith

Lay not on any soul a load that you would not wish to be laid upon you, and desire not for anyone the things you would not desire for yourself.


Hinduism

This is the sum of duty: do not do to others what would cause pain if done to you.

All these selections were taken from within the canon of their faith.


I don't know about you, but I'm overflowing with righteous pride in my Savior. Happy Easter.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Thanks for that, Spence!
I love to hear people so excited about what they learn in school that they feel the need to share it with everyone else. Way to be.