3.14.2009

Fighting Cancer. And Weakness.

9:13 AM. The air is charged with anticipation. To release my anxiety, I jump up and down a few times, and Brooke cranks some tunes on her iPod. Glancing up at the Wasatch Range, sunlight dazzles off the snow. You can smell the fresh black asphalt. A few dozen people stand in front of us, but behind us, a sea of runners fill the three lane street for an entire block. We're running the 5K, and I feel like we're part of something important, like we're making a difference.


i didn't take this picture. but this is what it was like.

At 9:15 AM, an actual cannon was fired - scaring the bajeezus out of me - and we took off in a thundering herd. After quelling my initial paranoia of getting trampled, we actually enjoyed a pretty good run.



my running number. i signed up late so it's kinda large.

It was so inspiring to see thousands of people crossing the finish line, knowing that for each person in the race, 15-30 dollars has been donated towards fighting cancer. I'm glad to have been part of something bigger than myself. And I'm really glad I kept up with Brooke.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

Rock on Spence, way to go!

Unknown said...

huh...wish I could have taken part of but I'm so glad that Brooke schooled you. She's an amazing runner!!

Aly said...

watch out for those cannons

good job rex lee run-ner. you are great