5.23.2011

Mind Reading

I used to think that if you could read a girl's mind, then relationships would be a thousand times easier.  For example, you'd really know if she likes you or not, or whether it would be a good idea to kiss her goodnight after your third date, etc.  When you girls are upset, we boys know it.  We can feel it... but how neat would it be to actually know why!

Clark Gable demonstrates "the smolder"

And then I got thinking... when you're re-entering the dating scene, how many times do you compare your date to others you've dated?  You wouldn't want your date to know that.  Or girls, do you ever give out your number to a guy that you actually find kind of creepy - only to be charmed when he takes you out for dinner?  Wouldn't you be grateful, at the end of that night of joyful delirium, that he couldn't read your mind as he was getting your number?

I think it's a good thing that we can't always tell what other people think about us.  If we always knew, then we'd start to care too much about others' opinions.  The result would be a crippling sort of self-consciousness, and an inability to just be ourselves.

Nothing like an accidental smooch to get the ball rolling.
So, with all the halting uncertainty that comes from dating, I think it's good we can keep our thoughts to ourselves... and thank goodness we boys can't read girls' minds... because I am learning that sometimes, that can be a frightening place.

The real solution, is to get very good at communication - that way you can explain everything that needs explaining without oversharing.  Easier said than done, however.  From what I can tell from my own experience and that of my friends, it takes a lot of practice.

What do you think:  Am I right? Or am I crazy?

4 comments:

Kynsie said...

Sometimes it would be nice to be able to read another person's mind, but I think it would cause to many problems because then we would be self absorbed in how we are doing/what we can do better...I think that would lead to us not being ourselves. I found your blog and I really enjoy reading it. Thanks for making me laugh and posting! :)

Moonpies and Mason Jars said...

I like the new look. Oh, and good post or whatever...I don't wanna talk about it. K bye!

Unknown said...

Communication is the best thing ever!!! I don't think its important to know every little thing inside a persons head, the only time I think its important to know what people are thinking is when their actions don't follow what they're saying. Or at least your interpretation of their actions. Thats my 2 cents.

kelseyosterman said...

My mom once asked me if I'd rather have the ability to take back anything I've said or to read other people's minds. I went with the former, because I say some stupid things, and because life needs mystery to operate correctly. We all think horrible thoughts about others, to some extent, even our best friends. Humanity is imperfect and that's just how we are. But the difference comes in whether or not we say things. Knowing everyone else's thoughts would severely limit our ability to form any lasting relationships, with friends, family, or significant others.