3.09.2011

First, a purchase. Second, Davies and a clumsy comment.

1) I BOUGHT A CAMERA!  I'm pretty excited.  It's a really large purchase for me (and being raised by my father I tend to feel guilty spending any more than $20 at a time), but it's also a lifetime investment.  Check out how cool it is here.  I recommend clicking on the "View in 3D portion."  Very, very awesome.  Happy birthday to me - it arrives on March 17th, 3 days before the big day.  Can't wait.

2)  For the first time, I have commented in the "comments section" on an online newspaper or forum.  I feel like becoming a little more vocal these days.  Naturally, it being the first time, I botched it.  I tried to keep my comment even-tempered and well-thought out, and meant to delete some of my more pointed and antagonistic questions... instead they hid from me below the viewing window and got posted with the rest of my (hopefully classier) comment.  I meant it to end with "Go Cougs!" but instead it ended with:

"Take it from a local:
Why has this comments section been choked with anti-LDS diatribe? Why, whenever my school makes coast-to-coast news (ironically, for strictly enforcing a moral code), is BYU and the LDS Church denounced for immorality and racism?"

Whoops.  Didn't mean to release that little rant to the whole world (wide web).Though I wish we had solutions to the problems that these questions allude to, I feel like I already know the answer to the questions I asked.  No use inflaming the already haughty and prideful egos of the anti-religious, whether they be anti-LDS, anti-Christian, or otherwise.  What's up with all the "anti" anyways?  Can't we just focus on building great things instead of tearing everybody else down?

Anyways, for a link to the article I commented on, go here.

3 comments:

kelseyosterman said...

Congrats on the camera!! I recently purchased one for myself too! Merry Christmas/happy birthday to me! :)

As for being anti-something...that's a double-edged sword. I'm anti-murder and anti-rape. That's acceptable to society. I'm also anti-abortion. That's controversial. I think it's ok to be anti-something, but I think those views should be expressed with respect and love, as much as possible. But that's a difficult thing to do...

Unknown said...

What big day?

Crave said...

@ kelseyosterman

You have a very valid point. I get a little carried away when I encounter negativity in excess, but you are totally correct - To have a belief or an opinion necessitates that we are "pro" some things and "anti" others. The spirit of expression of said beliefs is certainly the key.

@ amy

"Happy Birthday to me" isn't actually a rhetorical phrase in this post - my birthday is on the 20th. :)