4.20.2009

Organic Chemistry is a Dead Bird.


I happened upon this comic strip some time in elementary school, and it has changed my outlook on a lot of things.

I just finished my Organic Chemistry class today. I walked into the final, annihilated it, then left with an hour to spare. Blasting my "Boogie Bus" playlist on my iPod, my smile was as wide as Texas. Take that, Organic Chemistry.

And yet I am also reminded of what a beautiful thing it is - my ochem teacher has made her it her life's work and passion to teach this subject to kids like me. Dr. Nielson is a vibrant, dynamic, friendly and energetic woman who thoroughly loves - and loves to teach - organic chemistry.

She has helped me to see the beauty of the subject - though for me, it is a dead bird. Natural, beautiful, and its presence, though unnoticed by many, draws my eye, causing me to look more deeply into the mysteries of life. I'm not going to carry it with me forever, but I will always appreciate that it's there and that in it's own small and powerful way, it changed who I am.

Thank you, Dr. Jennifer Nielson.


This is a link to the entire strip.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

two orders of business. 1- I am the first to comment on this blog. 2-I really enjoyed that comic strip.

K-Berg said...

you have a blog? How are we not friends?

Jessica said...

Spence! Way to find a way to appreciate something as horrible as ogranic chemistry. That takes guts.